The artwork selected for this year’s Student Art Show was handpicked as the “best of” by WSU’s art professors from works created by arts students in the Visual and Performing Arts Department. Each piece—on display in the Mary Cosgrove Dolphin Gallery—exemplifies the varied and intriguing talent of our VPA students.
The students hail from cities and towns around Worcester County, in nearby Connecticut, and as far away as Puerto Rico.
The artists include 2015 Burncoat High School graduate Emily Crawley, who exhibits her work “Crompton Skulls.” Doherty Memorial High School graduate Maneula Ospina presents a mixed media piece titled “Art Journal Self Portrait Page.” Four graduates of South High Community School also have pieces accepted into the show: Felicia Givins, Debbie Tran, Elaine Milosz, and Pamela Saffer. Also exhibiting is current Worcester resident Marion Babowitch.
Other students with selected works in the exhibit are:
- Kaitlyn Daignault of Holden, a 2011 graduate of Wachusett Regional High School
- Hannah Wilmot of Rutland, a 2013 graduate of Wachusett Regional High School
- Gwen Callahan, a resident of Holden
- Bailey Boutiette of Charlton, a 2015 graduate of Shepherd Regional High School
- Kathleen Martin of Southbridge, a 1998 graduate of Shepherd Regional High School
- Olivia Christy of Millbury, a 2011 graduate of Whitinsville Christian School
- Rhianna De Priest, a 2014 graduate of Medford High School in Medford
- Rylee Donovan, a 2015 graduate of Oxford High School in Oxford
- Jason Firmes, a 2014 graduate of Douglas High School in Douglas
- Danica Germain, a 2012 graduate of West Boylston High School in West Boylston
- Karlee Harris, a 2013 graduate of Narragansett Regional High School in Templeton
- Caitlyn Peters, a 2012 graduate of Sutton High School in Sutton
- Liz Proulx, a graduate of Oakmont Regional High School in Westminster
- Alisyn Renzulli, a 2012 graduate of Holyoke High School in Holyoke
- Mikaela Shanley, a 2013 graduate of Uxbridge High School in Uxbridge
- Kerri Riefenhauser, a 2014 graduate of Waterbury Arts Magnet School in Southbury, CT
- Carla Betances, a 2007 graduate of Academia Santa Mónica in Guaynabo, Puerto Rico
Regular hours are Tuesday through Friday 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. and Saturday 1 to 5 p.m. The exhibit remains open until February 25.
Beyond the Classroom
World Languages Department Celebrates the Chinese New Year
On February 10, Chinese Instructor Joy Chen-Lewis hosted a Chinese /Lunar New Year Celebration to welcome the Year of the Monkey. Students dressed in traditional Chinese clothing and enjoyed typical . . .